Code.org CS Fundamentals 23-24
Professional Learning Program
Intro to CS Fundamentals K-5
Deep Dive to CS Fundamentals K-5
ALASKA CS FUNDAMENTAL WORKSHOPS 23-24 coming soon!
Date and Time
MATSU teachers share new understandings about computer science.
Credit Class activity-Design a "How to Debug" poster!
Comparing the Intro Workshop and the Deep Dive Workshops for CSf Fundamentals K-5
Top 10 Reasons to Teach Computer Science in Elementary School
by John Waggoner
1. Early exposure to technology: Introducing computer science at an early age helps students become familiar with technology, which will be increasingly important in their future careers.
2. Problem-solving skills: Learning computer science teaches students how to approach problems logically, systematically, and creatively, skills that are useful in many other areas of life.
3. Career readiness: There is a growing demand for computer science professionals, and teaching CS in elementary schools can help prepare students for careers in technology.
4. Improved critical thinking and creativity: Computer science requires students to think critically and creatively, helping to develop these skills at an early age.
5. Encourages teamwork and collaboration: Many computer science projects involve group work, encouraging students to collaborate and communicate effectively.
6. Promotes gender and ethnic diversity: By introducing computer science early, schools can help close the gender and ethnic gap in the tech industry, which has been traditionally dominated by men and certain ethnic groups.
7. Improves math and science skills: Computer science requires a strong understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts, helping to reinforce these subjects.
8. Real-world relevance: Computer science is relevant to students' daily lives and can help make abstract concepts more concrete.
9. Supports individualized learning: Computer science allows for flexible and personalized learning, which can be especially beneficial for students with different learning styles and abilities.
10. Fun and engaging: Computer science can be an enjoyable and engaging subject, helping to increase students' motivation and interest in learning. #teaching #students #school #schools #learning #teamwork #collaboration #CSTA #code